14 months ago, Rail freight operator SBB Cargo International asked Railcolor Design to develop a new livery for its new generation of electric locomotives for cross-border freight traffic. Together with all stake holders, Railcolor Design was able to create a base livery design, bringing together two different worlds:
- SBB Cargo International is part of the Swiss state railway family (SBB). Many say Switzerland has the best railway system in the world. The SBB brand has a long history and represents reliability and quality to many.
- SBB Cargo International however is a young (since 2011) company. Unlike its mother company it operates in a competitive open market. And well, it operates internationally.
The new design is a combination of both familiar and new elements. You may recognise the red fronts and blue sides, known from the SBB Cargo design for its locomotives that was introduced in the early 00s. All cabin windows are ‘masked’ with black, a design element applied on that can also be found on various SBB rolling stock such as the FLIRT trains and 460 series locomotives. It brings a serious and high quality feel to the design.
New is the light blue base color, representing SBB Cargo International as an new, open and flexible company, with a bright future ahead. The company is also proud it has ‘tamed’ the Alps since the Gotthard Base Tunnel has opened. As these new Vectrons will will also be true ‘Alpäzähmer’ locomotives, they feature a side design showing a mountainscape being ‘pierced’ by a bright white line. Coming through!
And then there is the icing on the cake; the Swiss cross. We don’t need to explain that one right?
All 18 locomotives will be named after a city. Each machine will be decorated by a city’s coat of arms. The first two machines that are released are the ‘Olten’ and the ‘Gallarate’.
Do you also want to further develop your company’s story? And make it visible? Then don’t hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to explain you how we work and what we can do for you.
Interesting, external links:
- Erste Vectron-Lokomotive ausgeliefert und getauft on blog.sbbcargo.com
- Full report on the presentation by SBB on 14.12.2017 on bahnonline.ch
- Video: SBB Cargo International Vectron 193 461 “Olten” Abfahrt nach Basel